Re: Dropsy & Inmate

Jan & Gary Dunham (
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:00:08 -0600

I've encountered the word "inmate" in several census records. It seems to
be used as a person who is "boarding" in a school or other type of place
where a child would be residing. In one instance, I found a child as an
"inmate" in a home for veterans of the civil war. I presumed that they
were orphans and that was the only place for them at the time.

Also, the adults of the home for veterans were called "inmates". I assume
they were classified as needing nursing care, or just a place to live, but
.. I'm sure there are many other meanings for the word, but this one was a
first for me.

Jan D.

> From: Mulac <>
> Subject: Dropsy & Inmate
> Date: March 09, 1997 3:31 PM
> Can someone tell me what the condition "Dropsy" is?
> Also would like to find out what was meant by "inmate" on 1700's tax
> lists and census?
> Thanks for the help.
> Beth Mulac

Search billions of records on