[Fwd: War Stories]

Kathryn Parks (kjp1939@tgn.net)
Sun, 25 May 1997 17:30:30 -0500

--------------332415457E28

War stories for Memorial Day.

Kathryn

--------------332415457E28

Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 17:26:07 -0500
From: Kathryn Parks <kjp1939@tgn.net>
To: Scotch-Irish-L@rootsweb.com
Subject: War Stories

TALL TALES AND TRUE STORIES by Kathryn Parks

I was not fortunate enough to meet my Grandma, Florence Kenyon Bowman,
but I did hear many of the stories that she told to my dad and
brothers. I have been told that she was a great story teller and I wish
I could have been there to hear her tell her tall tales and true
stories. I am going to try to retell some of the stories I have heard
from others to preserve them for my grandchildren and other family
members. These stories should be saved so future generations will know
something of their roots.

=93If a man cares not for his roots, how then can he care for his
branches?=94 =20
by
Doyle M. Davis
=20
The Confederate Soldiers

Then there was the time Grandpa Kenyon was drinking in a bar just
after the Civil War had ended. Suddenly three Confederate soldiers came
into the bar. One of Grandpa=92s friends, makes me wonder about his
friends, dared him to stand on the bar and shout =93Hoo-rah* for the
Union! Hoo-rah*
for General Grant.=94 Grandpa was not one to turn down a dare. So he
stood up, shouted for all to hear the words that were meant to anger the
Confederates. It angered them all right and the fight was on. Grandpa
beat up the three soldiers, took a pair of brass knuckles away from one
of them, and won another battle for the Union. I remember seeing those
same brass knuckles when I was a small child.

*note: I know that hoo-ray is spelled incorrectly here, but hoo-rah is
the way Grandpa pronounced it when he told it to Grandma Bowman and my
dad. They passed it on that way to my brothers. Brother Kenneth then
passed it on to me in the same way.

I guess by now you realize that my great-grandpa really enjoyed a
good fight. He could have, however, chosen some better types of
friend. The next story emphasizes this point again. I call it:

The Spice of Life

Grandpa Kenyon heard from a friend that several men were wanting to
pick a fight with him. I guess his reputation for fighting was well
known. Grandpa knew that he was going to be out-numbered so he figured
out a plan to even things up a little bit. He took out an old, Union
Army cap, filled it with red pepper, placed it on his head and went on a
search for the men who wanted to fight him. When he found them, the
fighting started with a vengeance. The situation began to look pretty
bad for Grandpa so he took off his cap and flung the red pepper into
their eyes. It may not have been a fair way to end the fight, but it
was the safest way for Grandpa!

The White Horse

Grandpa Kenyon fought at the Battle of Shiloh under General
Sherman. During the battle, a Southern Gentleman, as Grandpa called
him, was killed and Grandpa captured his large white horse. Grandpa
took the horse with him to the battle of Vicksburg and other battles.=20
When Sherman left Atlanta on his way to Savannah, Grandpa went along
with his horse and scouted out supplies for the troops. General Grant
had cut all supply lines from Washington to the troops and made the
Union soldiers live off the=20
land. This was one of the reasons the Union was successful in defeating
the Confederacy.
After reaching Savannah,Georgia, Grandpa took the horse to his home
to be used as a farm horse. The horse lived a long time and made a
reliable work horse. No one knows for sure which Southern General was
the Southern Gentleman who was killed. Someday we may find out. One
theory is that he was Confederate General Albert Sydney Johnston who was
killed at Shiloh.

Now a Confederate Story:

James Franklin told a story of his brother Benjamin running away at the
age of 16 to Virginia to his brother, James Franklin, to join the army.=20
Jim tried to get him to go back home but Benjamin said, "Jim, I'll not
do it. There's never been a bullet made that can kill me." He stayed
and fought like an older person would. He didn't get a scratch on him.=20
Benjamin left Georgia after the war and went to Florida and lived and
died down there.

Now a neutral story:

Grandmother in the Slave Quarters

One of Mother=92s grandmothers was a child during the Civil War.=20
Although her family didn=92t own slaves, slaves would play an important
part in her life. I believe this story took place during the fighting
called "Bloody Kansas". That is where my ggrandmother lived during the
war.

One night, Union soldiers were supposed to be coming to attack the
settlement where Great-grandmother lived. The soldiers know that the
large settlement was neutral, but they were afraid that it would one day
side with the Confederates. The rumor was that the soldiers were going
to burn and pillage the town. With the men away, the women and
children didn=92t know what they were going to do to protect themselves.

The raid did take place that night. Some of the slaves, who
belonged to neighboring plantations, took the women and children and hid
them in the slave quarters so that the Union soldiers couldn=92t find
them. This probably saved their lives.

Most of the Stults families remained neutral during the Civil War.=20
They were for State=92s Rights and believed that each state should rule
itself. They did not believe in slavery and felt that if you owned
land, then you should be willing to work on it.

Kathryn

--------------332415457E28--