A settlement east of Antigonish.
At an early period it was called "Little River" but in 1864 the name
to Bayfield in honor of Admiral Henry W. Bayfield (1795-1885), an English naval
officer and surveyor who surveyed and chartered the most of Nova Scotia from
Halifax to the gut of Canso, Cape Breton, Prince Edward Island, the Gulf of
St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes.
Among early settlers were those called Hosterman, Grant, Hullsman, Campbell,
Randall, Atwater, Connors, O'Brien, Murphy, Talbet and Knowlan.
The section has a United Church and St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church
serve the two denominations which predominate. The Rev. Thomas H. White was
the pioneer Anglican clergyman in the area and the parish began in 1834. The
building was consecrated on March 8, 1880 but the original church was destroyed
by fire on March 17, 1895. It was rebuilt and consecrated on September 3, 1903.
Aylward Taylor was the schoolmaster (at Little River) in 1829 and a
house was erected after the Act of 1864 providing for free schools.
There was a postal way office from 1852 to 1867 and in 1868 E. W. Randall
In the days of wooden ships many vessels made Bayfield their home port,
particularly those owned by C. B. Whidden who carried on a trade in cattle
with Newfoundland. S. W. Randall and Captain James Keay built vessels for
the cattle trade which reached its height in the 1870s and ended about 1913.
Fishing was also important, and in 1898 there were two stores, one grist
one carding mill and one lobster factory and a population of 250.
The population in 1956 was 196.
BAYFIELD ROAD, Antigonish County
A settlement east of Antigonish where the roads from Bayfield on the
joins the Antigonish-Tracadie Highway. In 1898 there was a railway station
here in the midst of a farming district.