A descriptive name because of the low-lying land at Wallace Brook.
Among the early
settlers were those named MacDonald, MacMillan, MacPherson, MacGillivray,
MacDougald and Gilles.
Alexander MacDonald was the schoolmaster in 1828. The school section
was first named
Hallowell Grant and extended from Cloverville to Rear Georgeville. When School section
No. 66 was created the new section took the name Hallowell Grant and No. 64 became
In 1765 Benjamin Hallowell, Sr., Comptroller of the port of Boston,
received a grant of
20, 000 acres on Chedabucto Harbor in what is now Guysborough County. His son
Ward Nicholas Hallowell changed his name to Boylston because his uncle left him property
in Massachusetts, and Boylston Street in Boston is named after him. Benjamin Hallowell, Jr.
served in the Royal Navy, was one of Lord Nelson's captains at the Battle of the Nile and
eventually rose to the rank of Vice-Admiral. He took the name of Carew when he succeeded
to the family estates. Ward and Benjamin, Jr. in 1807, received the grant of 6,000 acres in
Antigonish County which is called the Hallowell Grant.
Population in 1956 was 83.