Part of the "Yankee Grant" to Jonathan Blanchard of New Hampshire in
was named for Nathaniel Brown who had come from New Hampshire with Blanchard's
settlers. In 1804 Robert Campbell and Moses Towns from the same state settled
with their families in log cabins at the foot of the mountain.
The post road from Pictou to Antigonish crossed Brown's Mountain.
There was a school house in 1864 and a new building was erected in 1886.
marble quarry was operating nearby in 1864. A post office was established on
December 1st, 1876, with Angus McEachern as postmaster. In 1898 it was a
farming settlement with a population of 100. The settlement has now disappeared
and the farms have returned to the forest.