Settlement south-east of Antigonish on the old Antigonish-Guysborough
Called Caledonia because most of the
settlers were Scottish and this was
the name applied by the Romans to the land north of the wall of Antonius,
which ran between the Firths of Forth and Clyde. However, Sir Walter Scott
applied it poetically to the whole of Scotland. The district had several small saw
mills and in 1864 it had a shingle mill, a grist mill and a kiln. Colin McDonald
was the miller in 1866. In 1871 when the population had reached 120, that
portion of the new Manchester Road Settlement, south of Marydale to the county line
was named Caledonia.
Early settlers were named Boyle, Campbell,
Chisholm, Forbes, Fraser,
McDonald, McGillivray and McIsaac, John Forbes coming to Caledonia about
1800. A postal way office was established in 1866-67 and in 1868 John Boyle
was the way office keeper.
There was a school-house in 1864 but
in 1957 the district was
consolidated with St. Andrew's.
In 1922 the McDonald home was upset
by mysterious disturbances and
unexplained fires which were considered to be caused by a poltergeist and
caused widespread publicity. The population in 1956 was 51.