An island in Antigonish harbour.
Named for Captain Timothy William Hierlihy who received it as a grant
the crown in 1785. Captain Hierlihy (1755-1831) was the eldest son of Lt. Col.
timothy Hierlihy served in an Independent Company of Volunteers during the
American Revolutionary War which became the Royal Nova Scotia Volunteers
and was on garrison duty at Charlottetown. With others in the regiment he
received land at Antigonish for his military service and became a justice of
the peace and high sheriff for Sydney County.
CAPTAIN POND, Antigonish County
Lake N.E. of Antigonish.
Land nearby had been granted to Lt. Col. Timothy Hierlihy in 1784 but
son Captain Timothy William Hierlihy probably lived there later.