A descriptive term for a settlement north of Antigonish on the road
to Malignant Cove. Early grantees were John Lawler, Michael Sipple, M. MacDonald
and Rev. Edmund Burke, but it was settled largely by Irish settlers and their descendants
who migrated from Guysborough County in the mid 19th century to farm.
The school section was first known as the "Old Gulf Road" because it
was on the road
to the Gulf of St. lawrence. From the Section came two Presidents of St. Francis
Xavier University, Rev. Dr. A. M. Thompson and Monsignor H. P. McPherson.
The population in 1956 was 52.