DUNMAGLASS, Antigonish County
 

Locality NW of Antigonish

Known first as "the back settlement of Knoydart", it was then called
"Summerville," but in 1879 the name was changed by statute to Dunmaglass.
This name was suggested by the Rev. Andrew McGillivray, a descendant of the
original settlers, because Dunmaglass was the home in Inverness-shire,
Scotland of the ancient family of MacGillivray.  Three brothers from
Dunmaglass, Scotland, Andrew, Alexander and Angus McGillivray and John
McEachern were the first settlers about 1791.
 

It was once a thickly settled farming district with a sawmill but in 1870 the
school section was annexed to Knoydart in Pictou County to form the border
sections of Ardness