North west of Antigonish.
The first settlers on the mountain were emigrants, from the Isle of
Eigg, one of the
Western Isles attached to the County of Inverness, who brought the name with them.
Donald Fraser settled in 1823 and Lauchy Mor McIsaac and Archibald McLellan
came from Eigg and settled on the mountain about 1825.
The virgin soil was good after the forest had first been cleared but
later the fertility of the
soil was exhausted by poor farming practices and the people moved away. The district was
also called Maple Ridge because of the heavy growth of hardwood that covers the hills.