A settlement south of Antigonish on the South River.
Named after Alexander Fraser who operated there a saw mill and a grist
mill at which
timber was sawn and wheat and oats ground into flour and oatmeal.
The first settlers were Ronald MacDonald, John McNeil and Augustine
emigrated from Scotland about 1800 on the sailing ship Nora and made their way from Pictou
to this central portion of the South River Valley. Other Scottish families who settled here were
Boyd, Chisholm, Fraser, Gillis, MacDonald, MacGillivray, MacIsaac, MacPherson and Sinclair.
About 1828 the people of the district helped Mr. Grant to dam the South
River and to build
a saw mill. Later this mill was sold to Mr. Fraser, who built a grist mill which he operated for
many years. Other industries were a tannery owned by Jim MacDonnell and a cheese factory
owned by Mr. Archibald.
The first school house - the section was built of logs on Hugh Boyd's
farm on the west side
of the river. The second one was a framed one built about 1831 on the east side of the river.
In 1848 Richard Carroll was teaching fifty-one scholars at "Fraser's Mills South River."
In 1928 the federal government of Canada replaced the old wooden dam
of 1828 by a
concrete one to supply water to a large Fishery Hatchery located across the road from the school.