Former names were Black River and Beauly, but in 1891 the Legislature
of Nova Scotia
changed the name to Glassburn after a parish in Scotland.
John Grant of Strathglass settled here about 1807.
The school district borders on Guysborough County and its boundaries
have been altered
many times because of changing population. At least twelve priests obtained their early schooling
there. The section was the birthplace of former School Inspector A. B. MacDonald and
Rev. Dr. D. J. MacDonald, President of St. Francis Xavier University. The school was
closed in 1953.
In 1898 it had a cheese factory and a population of 125.