A brook flowing south east into Beaver River so called because it runs
through the land granted in 1804 to the Hon. Lawrence Hartshorne
(1755-1822). He was a Loyalist merchant who came to Nova Scotia from
New York and represented Halifax County in the House of Assembly from
1793 to 1799 and was appointed a member of His Majesty's Council in 1801.