A settlement east of Antigonish.
Known as "Pomquett Forks" until part of the district was named Heatherton
by act of the
Nova Scotia Legislature in 1879.
Many of the early settlers were from Scotland, e.g., John Chisholm,
Donald Ban Gillis, John,
Donald, Archy, Hugh, Ronald, Angus and Alexander McDonald, John Tolbert (blacksmith).
The first school in section 25 was a log house on the west side of the
Pomquet River which
had belonged to John Chisholm (Donn) and the first teacher was Joseph Grant.
A new post office building was completed June 3, 1965.
A Roman Catholic Church was built about 1842 ministered by the priests
of St. Andrew's
later from Pomquet. A new church was started in 1867 and the mission became a separate
parish of Immaculate Conception in 1875. The Sisters of St. Martha have Our Lady of
By 1898 it contained three stores, one hotel, two sawmills, a cheese
factory, and had a
railway station on the Eastern Extension Railway to Cape Breton. It is now a mixed farming
district with poultry and dairying and some lumbering.
The population in 1956 was 203.