A locality southwest of Antigonish.
Part of the Ohio district, it was later called Stewart's Mills and then
named Ireland because
of the numerous settlers from the "Emerald Isle."
Among the early grantees were William, Patrick, Peter and Daniel Murphy,
Owen O'Callahan, Edmund O'Connor, Owen O'Sullivan and Patrick Walsh.
About 1829 William and Patrick Murphy from County Cork, Ireland and
took up land in this hilly district, and William Murphy walked twenty miles to Sherbrooke to
buy a bushel of wheat which he carried home on his back to plant in his clearing.
The school section is now consolidated with Cross Roads, Ohio.
In 1898 it had a saw mill and a population of 70