A locality north of Antigonish.
Part of the Morristown district, in 1871, the Legislature of Nova Scotia
changed the names
of the North and South Lakes of Morristown to lakevale, a descriptive term because of the
low-lying intervale land along the lakes. For a time it was called "Lakevale Chapel" because
of the Roman Catholic Chapel now St. Columba's Church.
The first grantees were John and Allan Livingston, Mary McIsaac, Christina
James Anderson and Donald, Ronald, John and Angus McDonald. Settled first by Loyalist
soldiers who had fought in the American Revoluntionary War and about 1800 Highland
emigrants began to arrive and bought farms from the soldiers. Among the early settlers
were Donald, Angus, Alexander and Allen MacDonald from Knoydart, Scotland; also
Donald McDonald, Hugh's son and John MacDonald of Arisaig., and Donald Cameron
of Lochaber, Scotland came out in 1801, and John Cameron a native of the Island of Lewis,
A McGillivray was the postal way office keeper in 1871 and Angus McDonald
in Oct. 1, 1873.
The population in 1956 was 140.