A settlement west of Guysborough on South River Lake, named after the
that name in the Highlands of Scotland, which was made famous by Sir Walter
Scott's poem "The Lady of the Lake." The first grantees about 1811 were Edward
Bond, Alexander Kennedy, John Martin and Alexander McIntosh.
A former name was "Union Centre." The school was closed in 1952.
A Presbyterian church (now United Church of Canada) was built here in 1869.