A settlement east of Antigonish so called because it is lower down the
River of Antigonish and near the mouth.
The first settlers there were John McIntosh, Big Dan Chisholm, John
Alexander Chisholm (Cary), Roderick Grant and Rory More Chisholm who had
emigrated from Strathglass to Pictou on the Ship Aurora in 1803. In the
summer of 1805 they began to make a clearing at the Lower South River. Hugh
MacDonald (Squire) opened a store in the 1820s, in this fine farming district
where four roads intersect. It is one of the best dairy districts in
Antigonish County and in 1898 had a population of one hundred and thirty.
John McGilvrey [sic] was the schoolmaster at South River during the
term. In 1821 John McCaskell was the schoolmaster at Lower South River and
in 1848 Wm. Hulbert was teaching nineteen pupils.
There was a way office in 1863 and Daniel Fraser was the was office
There are now several restaurants and motels as it is a popular stopping
place for travellers on the TransCanada Highway to Cape Breton.
The population in 1956 was 262.