South east of Antigonish.
Formerly Manchester Road, the name was changed in 1871 to this descriptive
because of the dale lying between the branches of the Pomquet River. It was called
Manchester Road because of the highway which ran to Manchester the old name for
The first settlers were Angus McDonald (McBride) and a native of Knoydart
Roderick Chisholm a native of Strathglass who came to clear farms when there was
not a tree cut down from the Gulf Shore to Manchester Road. About 1801 they were
joined by immigrants who had come to Nova Scotia on the Ship Nora.
There was a school as early as 1827 and the boundaries of the Manchester
underwent many changes before being consolidated with St. Andrew's in 1957.
Manchester Road became a postal way office in 1867 and Colin Chisholm
postmaster in 1871 when the name was changed to Marydale.
In 1898 the population was about 140 and there was a cheese factory.
In 1956 the
population was 78.