Settlement NW of Antigonish.
Known as Malignant Brook because of its location on this brook
until the name was changed to Maryvale by statute in 1871.
Among the early settlers were Allan MacDonald and John McGillivray,
piper, son of Andrew McGillivray of Dunmaglass, and Roderick McDougall
(Ruaridh Cleireach). Among the first grantees in the district were Donald and
John Cameron, Angus Boyd, Hugh and Angus McDonald, Archibald McDougald,
John Gillis, Sr. Hugh and John McGilvray, Roderick McDougald, Donald, John,
Alex and Duncan McDonald, Robert Murray and Alexander Chisholm.
Ronald McKinnon son of John McKinnon, pioneer, bought two hundred acres
of forest land at Malignant Brook from a soldier named Angus Boyd and with the
assistance of his wife built a log shelter in the wilderness.
Alexander McDonald was teaching at Malignant Brook in 1828 and later
MacGillivray, piper, was teaching in the old log schoolhouse where one of his
pupils was Ronald McDonald, later Roman Catholic Bishop of Harbor Grace, Newfoundland.
The first log school was located on what was called the Old Gulf Road,
school houses were built on the west side of the book. In 1887 the school district
was named Maryvale. The North Shore Consolidated School was built in the
section in 1963.
James G. Ross was postal way office keeper in 1871.
In 1898 the settlement had one church and one store and a population
of 170. The population in 1956 was 87.