A brook and a settlement N. W. of Antigonish.
A corruption of McCara's, for it was named after James
McCara, who received
a grant of five hundred acres there in 1796 for his loyal services to the Crown in
the American Revolution. He was a native of Perthshire, Scotland, who had
emigrated to New York State and had joined General Burgoyne's forces in 1777.
Several other soldiers, names Alexander McDonald, Samuel Thompson, Alexander
McPherson and James Peacock settled in the neighborhood of McCara but later
sold their farms and moved away.
In 1827 there was a school at McCara's Brook and in 1865
a new school house
was erected there.