A head of land on the south shore of Georges Bay.
See Monks Head.
A settlement on a point of land, North East of Antigonish Harbour which
was named after
George H. Monk of the Royal Nova Scotia Volunteer Regiment who obtained a thousand
acre grant of land there in 1784. He acted as Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Nova Scotia
and was a Justice of the Supreme Court of NS, 1801-1816.
John, Allen, Ronald and Annie MacDonald emigrated from Moidart, Scotland
and settled at Monks Head. In 1898 it was a fishing and farming settlement with a
population of 90. The population in 1956 was 151.
MONK POND, Antigonish County
A lake south of George Bay.
Named after Major George Henry Monk who had a land grant
Also called Duns Lake, from the Dunn family which was
living here in