This settlement is north west of Antigonish. Situated at the foot
of Brown's Mountain and
Eigg Mountain where the soil was fertile enough to support a population. The land was covered
with fine timber which was cut and sold by the early settlers, tradition relating that John Smith
sold a pine tree eighty-eight feet long as a spar for 18 (pounds?) - a large sum in those days.
Most of the forest trees were blown down in the big storm of October, 1839.
At first it was part of the locality called "Rear Malignant Brook,"
but the name was changed
to Pleasant Valley in 1862. It was called "Glenuig" or "Glen Uig" after the glen hills and
hamlet in Moidart, Scotland.
Among the early grantees were John McEachern, David McQueen, Ronald
James Hendrikson, Robert N. Henry and Lawrence Doyle.
The first settlers in Pleasant Valley were Donald MacGillivray, Allan
(son of John Gillis of Arisaig), John Smith and Allan McDonald, Double Hill.
Others who came in the 1840s were Ronald Smith, John, Allan and Lauchy MacEachern
from Arisaig, Scotland, Allan McPherson and Angus McDonald (son of Donald McDonald, Arisaig).
Originally part of the North Grant School Section, the first school
building stood on a site
approximately one half mile west of the cross roads (or Mountain Road) to Arisaig.
The populations in 1956 was 125.