This settlement is southwest of Antigonish.
A descriptive name from saline springs, it was part of the grant to
Timothy Hierlihy and eight-eight others in 1784. Among the early settlers were Cameron,
Chisholm and Somers.
Angus McDonald was the schoolmaster in 1829 teaching children with surnames
Chisholm, MacDonald, MacLellan, Smith, Somers or Summers. In 1905 the section was
consolidated with West River.
About 1827 William Pushee erected a grist mill and in 1829 completed
a kiln for drying oats.
By 1898 it was a farming settlement with 2 brick yards and a population of 80.
The population in 1956 was 57.