This locality is south-east of Antigonish. A descriptive
name, there being several
places of this name in Great Britain. It is situated along the South River between
Marydale, Upper South River and the Guysborough County line and was settled
largely by Irish settlers who migrated here by way of Guysborough County. In
1867 it had a population of 150 and living there were families named Bray, Brennan,
Cameron, Cumming, Druchan, Floyd, Grace, McAuley, McDougall, McFarlane,
McGregor, McIsaac, McNaughton, McPherson, Polson, Power and Scully.
John McPherson was the teacher. It was a farming district with a sawmill at Upper
Springfield in 1898.
The school section No. 51, Rear Springfield was established
on May 20, 1890, to
care for the population settled on the lots to the "Rear" of Springfield towards
Caledonia Mills. In 1957 it joined the St. Andrew's Consolidated School district,
and in 1959 Springfield school section No. 60 joined St. Andrew's. The Rev. Mother
General of the Order of St. Martha, Sister Ignatius (Floyd) was born at Springfield
and attended the school there.
In 1956 the population of Springfield was 70.