This settlement is south east of Antigonish.
Named for the patron saint of Scotland. Formerly it included a
on the South River, Manchester Road and surrounding Heatherton and Pomquet.
A number of the early settlers had emigrated from Scotland on the ship Nora in
1801. The section became the heart of the Highland country and was built around
the new Guysborough road. St. Andrews township was established by 1826 and
1,501 people were living there in 1827.
There was a school there in 1827 and by 1848 a new elementary school
erected where Miss Margaret Chisholm was teaching eighteen children. A modern
consolidated school and rural high school is now located in the village.
Father William Fraser (later Bishop) when sent as a priest to St. Andrew's
that there was no school in the county by which young men desirous of studying for
the priesthood and for professional life could receive their preparatory education.
Thus he founded St. Andrew's Grammar School in an old log house.
A postal way office was established at St. Andrews in 1842 but in 1864
a post office. John McMillan was postmaster in 1868.
The first resident pastor in St. Andrews was Rev. William B. MacLeod
from 1827 to
1830. Rev. William Fraser later Bishop of the Diocese cared for it for several years.
Another future Bishop who served as pastor was the Rev. Colin F. MacKinnon. The
population of St. Andrews in 1956 was 122.