Search billions of records on

Tiverton, After the Storm of Feb 28, 1952

Digby Genweb Digby Researchers Census Parish Records Births Marriages Cemeteries Obituary Index Scenes from the Past Links & Resources



Digby County was hit by a major storm in February 1952.
These photos and postcards depict the damage in Tiverton.


Photos and postcards supplied by J Outhouse

The following account of the storm appeared in the Digby Courier on March 6 1952

Worst Storm in Years Hits County
     The Heavy gale and snow storm which struck this area last Wednesday evening and continued through Thursday completely tied up transportation in the Digby District. Streets and sidewalks were all blocked with drifts some eight to ten feet high.
     Some thirty persons from rural districts around Digby were forced to spend the night at the Digby Rural High School after school buses found it impossible to return them to their homes following Adult Education classes at the school. Radio appeals were issued to neighbors asking them to care for the stock of people marooned in Digby.
     Members of the Digby Ravens hockey team and a number of supporters from Digby were marooned at Annapolis on their return trip from Bridgetown Wednesday night. Some fifteen cars from Digby were stranded about a mile from Annapolis in heavy drifts. A number of those who could not get any further by car caught the early morning freight at Annapolis, arriving in Digby shortly after seven o'clock. This train usually makes Digby shortly before five a.m.
     Three freight cars went off the tracks on the spur line running to the Digby pier shortly after noon, tying up rail traffic to the wharf. Heavy drifts blocked the rail line to the wharf but efforts of the train crew had succeeded in getting the yard engine through to the wharf before the derailment tied things up for several hours.
     Five taxis spent the night on the road near Smith's cove when they were caught by the storm. One truck driver in town, after helping car owners to get their cars off the street was forced to abandon his truck in a heavy drift. He stayed in his truck until the motor quit, then spent the remainder of the night in the town hall, along with seven or eight others seeking shelter from the storm.
     The peninsula and islands of
Digby Neck took the full brunt of the storm. Sixty mile an hour gales, coupled with the mountainous waves of an extremely high tide, combined to wreak heavy damage at East Ferry, Tiverton and Freeport.
     At East Ferry the fish plants of Harrison Theriault, Sydney Small and E.J. Theriault and Sons were carried away. Fish houses belonging to McClafferty and Theriault and Harley Theriault were also destroyed as was the gas service outlet of Arthur Harris. Preliminary estimates of damage to buildings in East Ferry was $50,000.
     Also destroyed at East Ferry was some $4000.00 worth of fishing gear which was swept out to sea from the government pier. Three fishing boats moored at East Ferry were also totally destroyed. These belonged to Dalton Sollows, Bernard Young and Ralph Titus.
     At nearby Tiverton, across Petite Passage from East Ferry, the fish processing plant of Lauriston B. Small was completely destroyed as were several other shore establishments. At Freeport the ferry slipways were badly damaged and beaten about by the storm. The fish storage building of the E.C. Bowers Company was washed away and two craft went adrift to crash on the rocky coast.
     At the full tide in Digby, which came around midnight Wednesday night, mountainous waves lashed the waterfront of the town. Along the boulevard section of Water Street sand laden sea water was carried right across the roads and houses on the land side were swept by the heavy spray. Seaweed was carried by the sea across the road and left on the sidewalk on the west side.
     Abutments protecting properties on the waterfront were badly damaged and the piling under several buildings on the waterfront of the business district were severely damaged. One building suffered so severely fears were expressed it might collapse and as tide and weather conditions permitted workmen were busy shoring up supports.

Back to Scenes From the Past



Return to the Digby County, Nova Scotia GenWeb Homepage 


Notice:  Everyone is free to read and copy the following information for their own personal use, but not to distribute electronically, or in print, or by other means, in whole, or in part, without written permission.


Comments, questions and suggestions should be sent to DigbyGenWeb(AT) Subject : Digby Genweb

1998, 1999 Elaine Deion; 2000 to present CathyLee Rudolph



Hosted by RootsWeb