HomeCemeteriesDid You Know?Find UsFor Sale
HoldingsLinksMembershipMonumentsNewsletter
Open HoursPlaces of worshipResearch LinesSchoolsWhere is This?
Who is This?


South Shore Genealogical Society


Photographs of the devastation of St. John's Anglican Church
November 2, 2001




These photographs were taken at 8:00 AM November 2, 2001. It was a misty overcast day and there was still smoke rising from the ruins. They go in order clockwise around the church starting at the west entrance on Cornwallis Street. Special thanks to Barb Spindler for rushing my film to Bridgewater for developing

Click on photographs to go to larger images.

Church from west, Cornwallis St.

Church from the north, Townsend St.

Church from the north, Townsend St

Church from the north

Northeast corner from Townsend and Duke Streets
1. West entrance
from Cornwallis St.

2. Northwest corner
from Townsend St.

3. Northwest corner
from Townsend St.

4. North wall
from Townsend St.

5. Northeast corner
from Townsend &
Duke St.









Northeast corner from Townsend & Duke St.

Looking through from north to south

Northeast corner from Duke & Cumberland St.

Northeast corner from Duke St.

southeast corner from Cumberland St.
6. Northeast corner
from Townsend &
Duke St.

7. Northeast to southeast
- note stained glass
windows on south side

8. Northeast corner
from Duke &
Townsend St.

9. Northeast corner
from Duke St

10. Southeast corner
from Cumberland St.









southwest corner from Cumberland St.

southeast corner from Cumberland St.

the balcony

the bell that fell during the fire

southwest corner from Cumberland & Cornwallis St.
11. Southwest corner
from Cumberland St.

12. Southwest wall
from Cumberland St.

13. Southwest corner
"the balcony"

14. The bell that fell Nov 1 -
the rest were taken
down later on Nov 2

15.Southwest corner
from Cumberland &
Cornwallis St.











Looking northeast from Cumberland St.

from Cornwallis St.

from The Commons




16. Looking northeast
from Cumberland St.

17. West entrance
from The Commons

18. West entrance
from The Commons





MORE LINKS:

News Updates

Photographs of the church before, during and after the fire:

November 1, 2001 - The Burning
November 2, 2001 - The Aftermath
The interior after the burning - November 2001
The interior clean up progress - December 7, 2001 and December 28, 2001
The exterior encapsulation progress - January 16, 2002, January 23 - 27, 2002, January 31, 2002, February 7 - 15, 2002 and February 23 - March 2, 2002
Non-structural elements
The restoration of the altar
The exterior before
The interior before
The interior Christmas 1991
"Simon Birch" 1997


Canadian Heritage Minister, Sheila Copps, commits financial assistance at parish hall meeting November 16, 2001
Photograph of Solomon Morash, master builder in charge of the 1892 changes
A Short History of St. John's Anglican Church
People buried under the Church 1761 - 1826
Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia Historical and Architectural Survey and relevant Links
The Commemoration of St. John's Anglican Church as a National Historic Site October 11, 1998
Interesting Facts & Figures about St. John's



Home   Back