HomeCemeteriesDid You Know?Find UsFor Sale
HoldingsLinksMembershipMonumentsNewsletter
Open HoursPlaces of worshipResearch LinesSchoolsWhere is This?
Who is This?


South Shore Genealogical Society



Photographs of the start of the fabric encapsulation of St. John's Anglican Church, Lunenburg


Click on photographs to go to larger images -
run your mouse over the thumbnail for description


Photographs taken by Wilf Eisnor January 31, 2002, courtesy the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, Lunenburg NS

All taken from Townsend Street - north side

fabric panel 3/4 up, Townsend St. (north)
fabric panel 3/4 up
wooden braces & steel trusses
looking west
looking east panels, waiting


the track
closeup of track

In the above two images, the bolt rope edge can just be made out. The aqua colour is lubricant.


Photograph taken by, and courtesy of, Ed Jordan

Taken from Cumberland (south) side

coming down the south side

From Ed Jordan: "Each cloth panel will be continuous, from one side to the other, with no seam at the peak, or elsewhere. The material is a woven polyester cloth with a fire and ultra-violet resistant polyvinyl-chloride (PVC) coating on both sides. The overall material is about .025" thick, and has a "bolt rope" laminated into either edge to slide up the aluminum "sail track" on each steel arch member. Each cloth panel is about 12 feet wide, and spans between each of the arches. There is about 180 feet (55 metres) of fabric in each panel"


MORE LINKS:

News Updates

Photographs of the church before, during and after the fire:

November 1, 2001 - The Burning
November 2, 2001 - The Aftermath
The interior after the burning - November 2001
The interior clean up progress - December 7, 2001 and December 28, 2001
The exterior encapsulation progress - January 16, 2002, January 23 - 27, 2002, January 31, 2002, February 7 - 15, 2002 and February 23 - March 2, 2002
Non-structural elements
The restoration of the altar
The exterior before
The interior before
The interior Christmas 1991
"Simon Birch" 1997


Canadian Heritage Minister, Sheila Copps, commits financial assistance at parish hall meeting November 16, 2001
Photograph of Solomon Morash, master builder in charge of the 1892 changes
A Short History of St. John's Anglican Church
People buried under the Church 1761 - 1826
Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia Historical and Architectural Survey and relevant Links
The Commemoration of St. John's Anglican Church as a National Historic Site October 11, 1998
Interesting Facts & Figures about St. John's



Home   Back