Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

This large bronze plaque is on a granite monument on the church grounds of St. John's Anglican Church in the centre of Lunenburg.
Transcription below.

St. John's Anglican monument

HERE, IN THE YEAR 1753, BEFORE ANY
CHURCH WAS BUILT, OPEN-AIR DIVINE
SERVICES WERE HELD AND HOLY COMM-
UNION ADMINISTERED IN ENGLISH,
FRENCH AND GERMAN TO THE FIRST
SETTLERS AND GARRISON OF THE TOWN
OF LUNENBURG BY THE REVEREND JEAN
BAPTISTE MOREAU ACCORDING TO THE
RITES OF THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND.

OF DIFFERENT RACES, BUT OF THE
PROTESTANT FAITH, THEY INTERMAR-
RIED, LIVED AND WORKED TOGETHER
IN HARMONY, AND IN THEIR DESCEN-
DANTS ARE BLENDED THE VIRTUES
OF THEIR VARIED FOREBEARS.

ERECTED BY THE CONGREGATION OF
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, JUNE 1953