OFFICIAL SAMBRO SOU’ WESTER DAYS “LIGHTHOUSE” PARADE INFORMATION
We are excited to announce that the Sambro Sou’ Wester Days Parade is back! The parade will be Saturday, August 22, 2009, at 10:00 am. The parade will start at Atlantic View Drive, Sambro Head, and end at the James McPhee Memorial Ballfield, Sambro.
This is a community oriented event designed for one and all. The parade’s main objective is to put a “Sambro Smile” on the young and the young at heart. This is the 250th Anniversary of the founding of the Sambro Island Lighthouse, the oldest operating lighthouse in North America, so come celebrate with us! It is a down home community event for everyone. Come spread the “Sambro Community Spirit”. This event is organized by local volunteers and has always been well attended by many people from near and far
Interested In Entering The Parade?
We are looking for ALL Businesses, Community Organizations, and all other interested parties to get involved in the Sambro Sou’ Wester Parade. Whether your entry is big or small, we want your participation. There is no entry fee for this event. Print out an Application Form now!
Also, take a moment to read the Parade Reminders.
IMPORTANT PARADE REMINDER INFORMATION
Thank you one and all for attending the Sambro Sou’ Wester Days Lighthouse Parade. The success of this community and family oriented event is due to your support. Following are a couple of reminders and notes for you and your organization.
1) Parade judges will be wandering through the assembly (marshaling) area and will also be located in the area of Mishoo’s (the presenting sponsor for the parade) on the West Pennant Road, so always be at your best as you never know when they are watching!!
2) Please remember no throwing of candy or other objects to spectators from vehicles. You are however welcome to go to the parade sidelines and hand out candy or other objects.
3) For safety reasons, no parade participants may jump on or off moving floats or vehicles and may not allow any spectators to do so. As well, participants may not interfere with other parade participants or units.
4) Please try to continue on the parade route at an even pace. Not too fast -- not too slow, just the right speed for the parade watchers to enjoy. Please do not allow large gaps to form between yourself and the group in front or behind you. Marching/cheerleading groups in particular are to keep this in mind. This is the number one (#1) complaint from spectators.
5) The theme of the Parade is to celebrate the 251st Anniversary of the Sambro Island Lighthouse so all entrants are encouraged to be creative and to contribute to the Lighthouse theme in some way.
6) We have the use of the inbound lane of the Ketch Harbour Road from Atlantic View Drive along the Old Sambro Road to West Pennant Road to the Fire Station Parking lot.
7) Please park floats in behind the Sambro Fire Station - where parade staff will direct your entry. (Secure all valuables and/or leave someone with your entry)
8) Awards will be presented at the James McPhee Memorial Ball Field directly following the parade. We encourage all parade participants to attend the ceremony. Show us your group and community spirit. Please remember that this is a “fun” community event and therefore, the decision of the judges will be upheld.
9) Most important and last but not least -- this is a community event for one and all so remember those big smiles and have fun JJ
On behalf of the entire committee, once again thank you for your participation in the Sambro Sou’ Wester Days Lighthouse Parade. This event is solely organized and run by volunteers from your community. We hope you enjoy the Parade. A special thanks to all of the volunteers and Parade Committee Members. We wish you and your family a safe and enjoyable weekend celebrating Sambro!
Note: numerous sponsors have made this event possible - please support those businesses and organizations that have supported this community event.