Pictou County Maps
Pictou County, Nova Scotia GenWeb
Return to Main Page of Pictou County GenWeb

The following maps may be obtained from the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources
PO Box 698
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 2T9
Phone 902-424-8633
Fax:(902)424-7735
or visit their web site at: www.gov.ns.ca/natr/library/histmaps.htm
 
Ambrose F. Church Company
In 1864, Ambrose F. Church was commissioned by the Nova Scotia legislature to create a series of maps, one for each of Nova Scotia's eighteen counties, showing:
          • location of towns and villages,
          • transportation routes,
          • location of buildings and names of occupants,
          • basic topographic features, and 
          • geographical markings. 
In many cases the occupation of prominent townsfolk, for example, clergy, blacksmith, merchant was also included.  Mr Church completed this series in 1888. The map for Pictou County was drawn up in 1867.
Crown Land Grant Maps
These are a series of 140 maps showing the locations of the first land grants and township plots in
Nova Scotia. As the majority of land grants were issued between 1750 and 1850, the grantee names listed may predate the A. F. Church maps by 100 years.

Pictou County is included in maps 85-88,and 92-94. Very small portions of the county bordering Colchester, Guysborough and Antigonish Counties not in the above maps are included in maps 78-80, 95, 98-100. 

J. H. Meacham Company

Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of Pictou,  Nova Scotia 1879

This Atlas shows property ownership for the entire County. Town insets not included in this Atlas can be seen at The Public Archives of Nova Scotia. 

Return to Main Page of Pictou County GenWeb