Ballina & Richmond River GenWeb
< Back to Surname Index
James Boorman was born 7/6/1806 at Waldhurst, Sussex, England. He Married Jane Beaumont (nee Watts) 2/4/1831 Cranbook, Wesleyan Church, England. Jane was born in 1813 at Staplehurst, Tonbridge, Kent, England.
James Boorman, Jane Beaumont (nee Watts) & their sons: Thomas & William emigrated from England to Australia in 1841 on the SS Moffatt. Initially they lived in the Hunter River district, then Bolwarra. They settled in the Southgate area, near Grafton.
James & Jane's children included:
* Mercy b. 18/10/1835 England d. 2/1/1836 England
* William b. 19/2/1837 Lanberhurst, Sussex d. 18/8/1889 Swan Bay m. Maria Wenham (1841-1895) in 1857
* Thomas b. 8/7/1839 England d. 5/4/1866 m. Elizabeth Bowden (1840) 31/7/1862
* Tryphena b. 3/6/1842 d. 21/2/1936 m. John Short (1839 - 1880) 8/5/1862 at Southgate
* James b. 10/5/1845 d. 11/6/1919 m. Julia Ann Lee (1848 - 1920) 29/5/1867 at Ulmarra
* Walter b. 2/10/1847 d. 16/9/1930 m. Martha Spence (1851 - 1888) 24/12/1864
* John b. 20/11/1849 d. 11/2/1851
* Jane Ann b. 20/12/1851 d. 5/1/1939 m. Terah Lee (1852 - 1928) 10/6/1874 Southgate
* Mary b. 30/6/1854 Maitland d. 14/8/1863 Southgate -- died after gaining concussion from a Spring Cart accident.
William Boorman was a builder. The children of William & Maria were:
* Harriet Jane b. 12/9/1858 d. 6/1/1914 m. Thomas Lattimer
* William Concemore b. 3/7/1860 d. 19/10/1943 m.(1) Lauretta Gallop Pursey (1871 - 1904) 1/7/1891
m.(2) Eileen May Stone (1888) 9/12/1908 Ballina
* Alice Martha Clarenza b. 27/9/1862 d. 6/6/1933 m. Charles Lickiss (1859 - 1927) 26/9/1883
* Annie Clarence b. 18/9/1864 Southgate d. 1889 m. George Leeson (1861 Ulmarra) 1886 Swan Bay
* Ida Miriam b. 26/3/1867 m. Robert Allison Phillips (1860) 20/3/1886
*Cedelia Maria b. 17/2/1869 Ulmarra d. 1887 m.(1) John William Eastment (1866) 17/2/1887 at William Boorman's residence, Swan Bay. John married Emma Blanch Broadrick 29/3/1893
* Mary Alice b. 16/5/1870 m. Henry Pollock Leonard (1870) 21/7/1897
* Lewis Wenham Watts b. 26/3/1873 d. 18/8/1947 m. Barbara Helen McPherson 1900
* Florence Matilda b. 7/9/1877 m. Ernest Edgar Eggins (1870) 7/12/1898.
The children of Thomas & Elizabeth were:
* John B. b. 1864
* Frederick W. B. b. 1865.
The children of Tryphena & John Short were:
* Mary J. 1863
* Amy R. 1866
* Henry T. 1868
* John N. 1870
* Florence Ethel 1870
* Isaura T. 1875
* John 1880
James & Julia Ann's children included:
* Jane A. 1868
* Charles H. S. 1869
* Emma Elizabeth 1870
* James H. 1872
* Arthur Thomas 1874
* Mabel Pauline 1879
* Stella May 1881
* Frederick J. 1882
* Clarice H. 1885
* Albert C. 1887
* Richard W. 1889.
Walter & Martha's children included:
* Thomas William Spence b. 1870
* Clara 1871
* Ernest 1873
* Alfred 1875
* Edith E. 1877
* Jessie Charlotte 1880
* Elsie M 1882
* Bertha M. 1886
* Walter J 1888.
William Concemore Boorman opened the Newrybar Public School in 1890. He had previously taught at Woodburn & Byron Creek Schools. This was the first school in the district & William was called upon to teach children from 6 to 20 years of age. At one stage William taught 60-70 children until Miss Eileen May Stone of Ballina was appointed assistant in 1907. This was when the enrolment was over 90! Soon after William & Eileen married. William Boorman was known throughout the district for his musical ability. William retired in 1910 & settled in Newrybar.
Eileen Bowman (nee Stone) began her teaching career at Ballina Public School in 1903, when she was 15 years old. She worked for 3 months with no pay.
For Further information on the Boorman Family please feel free to contact Nigel
Copy of page originally transcribed by Mandy O'Neill (content remains unedited)
© 2010 BalliGenWeb