Ballina & Richmond River GenWeb
< Back to Surname Index
A. J. BROWN:
Mr & Mrs Brown senior moved from Minmi to settle in Lawrence in 1871 This is where A. J. Brown was born. Mr Brown senior, selected land at Alstonville & the family started the first store in the 'Big Scrub'. When Mr Brown died in 1873, his widow continued the business, with the help of her 4 children. Mrs Brown later married Arthur Freebourne, the first settler at Alstonville. A further 8 children were born. Mrs Brown often acted as a midwife & nurse.
A. J. Brown moved from Alstonville to Pimlico in 1904. His children included: Boyden, Victor, Pearl (Mrs Searle), Willa (Mrs Blanche) & Alvena (Mrs Williams).
James Brown came to the Richmond River as a cedar getter. In 1857 he owned a whole block of land in Ballina's main business centre. Mobbs Bay, at South Ballina, was once known as Brown's Bay . During the 1850's James imported thoroughbred horses. One of them was called 'Sebastopol'.
At some stage prior to the mid 1870's it is believed that James & family moved to the Wardell district, where James became the proprietor of the Prince of Wales Hotel. After
James' death, his wife, Susannah (nee James) is believed to have run the hotel for many years. Mrs Brown died in 1893.
William Brown was born in 1860 at Terara. William & his brother John came to the Richmond in 1882 & built a family home at Teven Junction. William was involved in the building of schools at: Wardell, Pimlico, Teven, Tintenbar, North Creek, Newrybar & Tuckombil. John joined the police force & was stationed at Wardell from 1904 to 1919. John's children were: Amy, Jack, Bertha & Keith.
Copy of page originally transcribed by Mandy O'Neill (content remains unedited)
© 2010 BalliGenWeb