St Thomas' Church Mulgoa_2
The Historic St Thomas' Anglican Church at Mulgoa. The centre of Mulgoa's spiritual life in the colonial era was St Thomas' Anglican Church, which dates from 1838. It was the first public building in the Mulgoa Valley and was constructed out of sandstone and cedar on paddocks donated by the Cox family, with Sir John Jamison serving as one of its patrons. The Reverend Thomas Cooper Makinson was St Thomas' inaugural rector. Attached to the church was Mulgoa's first school. It operated until 1871-72, when the Mulgoa Provisional School replaced it.