George Washington Elm
Location: State Capitol Grounds, Behind the Blasdel Building; 209 East Musser Street, Carson City, Nevada
Dedicated: October 5, 1932; Relocated and Rededicated on April 24, 1959
Marker Significance: As part of the George Washington bi-centennial Nevada Sagebrush Chapter donated and planted the George Washington Baby Elm Tree, great grandchild of the famous George Washington Elm, on the grounds of the State Capitol in Carson City. The marker was dedicated on October 5, 1932, bearing the inscription “Washington first took command of the American army under the grandparent of this elm at Cambridge, Mass., July 3, 1775.” On Arbor Day, April 24, 1959, the marker was rededicated and placed on the tree itself.
Directions: The tree and marker are presently located in the parking lot behind the Blasdel Building, 209 East Musser Street. The marker is mounted on the elm tree about 8 feet above ground level, just outside the rear doors to the building in the parking lot reserved for the State of Nevada Executive officers (just behind the loading docks of the Nevada State Library & Archives Building).