Nevada Pioneers at Huffaker Cemetery
Location: Off Sierra Manor Drive; Southwest Reno, Nevada
Marker Significance: Established in 1862, the Huffaker Cemetery was the first known cemetery in the Truckee Meadows. The marker was placed by John C. Fremont Chapter and a descendant of the Lyell Family in 1965 to commemorate Huffaker Cemetery - the oldest cemetery in the Truckee Meadows – and the Nevada pioneers who were buried in the cemetery. The marker is located in the remains of the Old Huffaker Cemetery in the Sierra Manor Estates in southwest Reno on Washoe County parcel number 044-373-14.
Today only a few of the original grave markers and grave sites of the pioneers remain. It is understood that when Sierra Manor was subdivided, the majority of the grave sites were destroyed before work was halted and redirected around the cemetery area.
Directions: To locate the marker, from South Virginia Street turn west on Foothill Drive and then north (right) on Sierra Manor Drive. Once on Sierra Manor Drive, the street will curve back to the right. Shortly after this bend in the road, the Old Huffaker Cemetery will be located to the west (your left) of the road out in open space behind the residence located at 901 Sierra Manor Drive.