Douglas County Historical Landmarks
| Compiled by: the Nevada
Division of Water Planning
Provided by: Doreen Robinson
Boyd Toll Road - Highway 395, fourteen
miles south of Carson City William H. Boyd was granted a Utah Territory Franchise
December 19, 1861, to provide a road to join Genoa to the Cradlebaugh Toll
Road, the trunkline to the mining district of Esmeralda. Boyds Toll
Road is still visible.
Carson Valley, the birthplace of
Nevada - Carson River Basin In 1850, a first settlement was made at Mormon
Station, renamed Genoa 1856. Here, in 1851, the first attempt to form a
government was made. In 1861, Nevadas Territorial Government was
established at Genoa.
Double Springs - Highway 395 thirteen
miles south of Gardnerville, Nevada. Double Springs was the notorious Round
Tent Ranch, or Spragues, another station on the road to Esmeralda. Here,
James C. Dean, one of the owners and Justice of the Peace in the District
in 1864, murdered his wife. This station was connected by the Olds Toll Road
with the headquarters of the horse thieves at Fairview (see Luther Canyon).
Dresslerville - Highway 395, six
miles south of Gardnerville In 1917 State Senator William F. Dressler gave
this 40 acre tract to the Washo Indians, then living on ranches in the Carson
Valley. After a school was opened in 1924, it became a nucleus of settlement.
Gardnerville - Carson Valley Early
Gardnerville served the farming community and teamsters hauling local produce
to booming Bodie (Ca.). The first buildings were a blacksmith shop, a saloon
and the Gardnerville Hotel. The latter was moved by Lawrence Gilman in 1879
from the emigrant trail between Genoa and Walleys Hot Springs, where
it was known as Ken House, to its new site, the homestead of John. M. Gardner.
Kingsbury Grade - Location: State
Route 57 South of Genoa The Dagget Pass Trail, named for C.D. Dagget, who
acquired land at its foot in 1854, was earlier called the Georgetown Train.
Replaced in 1860 by the wagon road built by Kingsbury and McDonald, for which
they received a Territorial Franchise in 1861, it shortened the distance
between Sacramento and Virginia City by 15 miles.
Luther Canyon (Fay Canyon) - Location:
State Route 57 10 miles South of Genoa Luther Canyon takes its name from
Ira M. Luther, who from 1858-1865 had a sawmill there. His home still stands
across the road from the Historical Landmark sign. In 1861, he was a delegate
to the Second Nevada Territorial Legislature.
Minden - one mile north of Gardnerville. Minden, the seat of Douglas county since 1916, was named for a town in Westphalia, Germany, where the founder of the H.F. Dangberg Land and Live Stock Company was born in 1829. The company established Minden in 1905 to provide terminal facilities for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, which was then extending a branch line southward from Carson City. Principal promoter of the town and its related development was H.F. Dangberg, Jr., secretary of the company and son of the founder.
Mottsville - state Route 57, six
miles south of Genoa. Hiram Mott and his son Israel settled here in 1851.
Their homestead was the scene of an impressive number of firsts in the Carson
County, Utah Territory:
Sheridan - State Route 57, eight miles south of Genoa In 1861, a blacksmith shop, a store, a boarding house, and two saloons comprised the village of Sheridan which had grown up around the general store of Moses Job established prior to 1855. This enterprising merchant named the peak, in the shadow of which the town stood, after himself having planted an American flag on the top. The Sheridan House was here built before 1875. The Surveyor General, in his 1889-90 biennial report, stated that Sheridan was a metropolis of the Carson River West Fork farmers. The Sheridan House still stands and is all that is left of the "metropolis."
Twelve Mile House - Highway 395,
six miles south of Gardnerville, Nevada An important hostelry was so named
because of its distance from Genoa and also from Cradlebaugh Bridge across
the Carson River. It was built in 1860 by Thomas Wheeler where the Boyd Toll
Road to Genoa and the Cradlebaugh Toll Road to Carson City converged. In
this vicinity, a second station was built by Thomas Teasdale.
Walleys Hot Springs - Location:
State Highway 57, two miles south of Genoa In 1862, along this Carson branch
of the Emigrant Trail, David and Harriet Walley developed a $100,000 spa
with 11 baths, a ballroom and gardens. The thermal waters (136 to 160 degrees
Fahrenheit) became well known as a cure of "rheumatism and scrofulous
Visitors to this page since 3/14/2004