Alma was formed from Willing, Nov. 23, 1854. It is the central town on the south border of the county. It is surrounded on the north by Scio and Wellsville, east by Willing, south by Pennsylvania and west by Bolivar.
The first settlement was made in 1833, by Warren Huff (Hough) from Quebec, Canada. The first child born was Emeline, daughter of Azor Hurlburt, Sept. 1, 1836. The first death was John Bagley, in 1838. The first school was taught by Clarinda Kent, in 1839. Azor Hurlburt kept the first inn in 1837, Samuel J. Peet the first store, in 1844. John W. Post erected the first sawmill in 1843. The first religious services were performed by Rev. Reuben Kent in 1838. The first religious association (Methodist Episcopal) was formed in 1850. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]
Alma - hamlet in the southwest corner of town
Allentown - hamlet in the northwest corner; once an oil boom town
Pikeville - hamlet in west part of town
Vosburg - location on west town line
200 Rauber St.
Wellsville, NY 14895
PO Box 67
Allentown, NY 14707
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1