Belfast, originally called Orrinsburgh was formed from Caneadea on March 24, 1824. The name was changed to Belfast on April 21, 1825. In 1831 part of Caneadea was annexed. Belfast lies a little northwest of the center of the county.
The first settlement was made on Genesee River in 1803, by Benjamin, Elisha, Calvin and David Chamberlin, brothers from Pennsylvania. Jedediah Nobles, from Elmira, settled on the river. Benjamin Littleton, from Elmira, settled on Wigwam Creek in 1805. The first child born was Moses V. Chamberlin. The first marriage was John Sanford and Mary Collar in 1806. Elijah Reynolds taught the first school in 1807. Joseph S. Raymond kept the first inn, near the village in 1821. Samuel King kept the first store in 1824. David Sanford erected the first saw mill and grist mill on the river, near the village in 1809. Rev. Ephraim Sanford (Baptist) held the first religious meeting at the house of Nathaniel Reynolds in 1806 and formed the first church in 1807-08. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]
History of the Town of Belfast from Beer's History of Allegany County.
Belfast hamlet located on west bank of Genesee River near the north boundary of the town; Genesee Valley Canal completed to Belfast
Rockville - hamlet in western part of town by the Black Creek
Transit Bridge - fomer location in the town
Marshall - location in the northwest corner of the town
70 W. Hughes St.
Belfast, NY 14711
PO Box 472
Belfast, NY, 14611
Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1
Belfst High School Class circa 1917 or 1919
Edward Norton Rutherford (b. 1895) is fourth from the right in the back row. If anyone can identify others in this class contact Nana
Postcards and class picture were submitted by Nana Redell.