This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.
New Hudson Town Historian
This settlement in the north part of the Town of New Hudson was first called North
Valley. Rodney, James
, and Samuel Bell
were all born in New Hampshire. Rodney came
to New Hudson about 1825, took up land, did some clearing, then returned to his home
state, married and returned with his wife. James
were also early settlers.
had three children, one of whom was named Nathaniel
children. The youngest being twin sons named Charles Edward and George Fred. These
twin sons had a successful mercantile business in Olean for 40 years. The former
Brandner Department Store was earlier called Bells.
was a son of Rodney Bell
. He was engaged in fruit growing. The farm that
was owned by Bret
and Harriet Taylor
showed evidence of this by the many fruit trees and
abundance of berries that grew there.
At one time, there were 35 homes and farms in the Belleville area. Some of the farms
were in the same family for generations, namely the Straight
farm, the Cooper
the Avery Dolph
farm. A map of 1856 indicates there was a cooper shop located near the
intersection of the four roads near Bellville. It also indicates a school house, a
Presbyterian church and a grave yard, a blacksmith shop, and many homes in the area. In
the 1870 census, it shows that Alonzo Giles
kept a grocery store at the four corners and
there was a post office. I believe the New Hudson Post Office was at McGrawville and
mail was brought to Bellville from there. Former residents affirm that the store and post
office were in the building that later became the parsonage for the Wesleyan Church.
About 1828 a Presbyterian Church was built at the center of the town. A few years later it
was moved to Bellville, deed dated July 1, 1844, A.H. Loomis, N.D. Bell, and Arthur
were named as trustees. Leonard Nichols
was clerk. The edifice was on lot 55.
After a time, the church was abandoned and later torn down and removed. A Methodist
Episcopal Society was formed early in about the same area. A church edifice was built
and religious services were maintained for sometime. A Wesleyan Methodist Society was
organized on June 28, 1885 with W.A. Stanfield
as pastor. They met in the school house
until 1896, when the people of Bellville built the church on which they are still
The Bellville School District was established around 1838. At one time, 44 pupils were
enrolled. The officers in the early school records were Leonard Nichols, Henry Ives, A.K.
Allen, James N. Bell
, and Aretas Cooley
. In 1848, a vote was taken to raise $300 to build
a school house. In 1850, the amount of taxes raised for school purposes was recorded as
$50. Names of officers and voters at school meetings prior to 1877 are: Nathan Davis,
George Clark, Eleazer Call, John Miller, Ephriam Perry, Silas Gere, A. Frost, J.M.
Jackson, Chester Smith, Benjamin Gardner, Nelson Lane, N.D. Smith, Daniel Wheeler,
Henry Fuller, N.H. Madison, Chas. Bosard, Horace Bolton, John Baker, Charles Baker,
Jerry Cooper, Alfred Jenks, Benj. Johnson, Daniel McMillian, Walter Wilmarth, Philander
Williams, Alfred Wright, Albert Austin, Harvey Cooper, Gwin Dolph, John Dickey, Alfred
Davis, Frank Durkee, Edwin Hicks, Edward Holmes, Charles H. Ives, Justin Ives, Luither
Pride, Bradley Swift, Leonard Williams
, and George Wray.
Allegany County, New York Table of Contents
Last updated on October 28, 1999
© 1998 by Neva Gross, all rights reserved; used by permission
© copyright 1999, by Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.