Bolivar was formed from Friendship on Feb. 15, 1825. A part of Wirt was taken off in 1838. Bolivar lies upon the south border of the county, west of the center.
Timothy Cowles, from Otsego county, was the first settler in the west part of the town in 1819. Christopher Tyler settled in 1819. Austin and Asa Cowles settled in 1820, in the west part of town -- all from Otsego county. The first birth was that of Almond W. Cowles in 1820. The first marriage was Daniel Kellogg and Sophia Hitchcock in 1825. The first death, that of a child of Luther Austin in 1823. The first school was taught by Austin Cowles in 1820-21. Hollis B. Newton kept the first inn in 1831. Newtown & Cowles was the first store in 1825. The first sawmill was built by Asa and Austin Cowles near the village on Genesee Creek in 1822, and the first gristmill by Asa Cowles at the village in 1824. The first religious services were held by Austin Cowles (Methodist Episcopal) in 1820. The first church (Methodist Episcopal) was organized in 1828.
[Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]
Bolivar Village located in the northwest coner of the town, on Little Genesee creek. The first building on the site of the village was the log house erected by Asa and Austin Cowles in 1820.
Sawyer - hamlet east of Kossuth
Vosburg - on the east town line
Kossuth - hamlet in the center of town
South Bolivar - hamlet at the Pennsylvania border; also was known as Honeoye Corners and Honeoye Forks
Hoben - hamlet east of Sourth Bolivar on Brimmer Brook Road near south town line
7769 Forman Hollow
Bolivar, NY 14715
252 N. Main Street
Bolivar, NY 14715
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1