This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Cuba was organized from Friendship on February 4, 1822. Genesee was taken off in 1830, and Clarksville in 1835. Cuba lies upon the west border of the county, south of the center. It was formerly known as township 3, range 2 of the Holland Land Purchase.

Settlement commenced in 1817, by Salmon Abbot, Mr. Freer, and Mr. Hall, from Conn.  John Bennett, Andrew Hawley, and Stephn Cole came about the same time.  The first death was that of Andrew Hull.  The first school was taught by David Row, in 1822.  Stephen Cole kept the first inn, near the center, in 1814.  King & Graves was the first store in 1821 or '22.  The first sawmill was built by William Dovner on Oil Creek in 1815.  The first gristmill was built by Cady & Baldwin on the same stream in 1822.  The first religious service was held in a barn by Samuel Vary in July 1810.  The first religious meeting was held by Rev. Robert Hubbard in 1818.  The first church (Baptist) was formed in 1824.  [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]

Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Cuba

1868 Description of Cuba

Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Cuba Village - incorporated Nov. 11, 1850; located in western part of town

North Cuba - hamlet north of Cuba village

South Cuba - hamlet south of Cuba village

Summit - location east of Cuba village; also known as "Cuba Summit"

Seymour - former community in the town located near North Cuba

Black Creek - former community now in New Hudson

Town Historian

David Crowley
Cuba Town Historian
44 South Street
Cuba, NY 14727
Telephone: 585-968-2783
Town Clerk

Nancy Orcutt
13 W Main St
Cuba, NY 14727
Phone: 585-968-8113

Birth-Death-Marriage from 1882
No records from the 1847-51 period

Note: send SASE;
copies $1.00/page
certified copies $10.00
Cuba Village Clerk

Diane Wilson
39 East Main Street
Telephone: 585-968-1560


Historical Society

Cuba Historical Society
PO Box 200
16 Genesee Street Friday, 2 - 4:30 pm
Cuba, NY 14727 or by appointment
Quarterly Newsletter


Cuba Circulating Library has an expanding genealogical section.


  • Baptist - organized 1825
  • The Second Baptist Church - organized Feb. 15, 1834.
  • Presbyterian
  • Christ Church (Episcopal) Vol. 1 and Vol. 2
  • Universalist - organized Feb 3, 1867.
  • Methodist Episcopal - organized in 1844.
  • Catholic


  • Cemetery - code 15-1; (Town 3, Range 2HC, lot 45), Cuba Village
  • Cemetery - code 15-2; (lot 54), Witter Road
  • Cemetery - code 15-3; (lot 45), Cuba Village
  • Catholic Cemetery - code 15-4; (lot 45), Cuba Village
  • North Cuba Cemetery - code 15-5; (lot 47), near Cuba Dam; Also list of Soldiers buried in North Cuba Cemetery.
  • Swift Family Cemetery - code 15-6; near Cuba Lake
  • Cuba Cemetery tombstone list (not sure which one above this refers to).
  • *code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1


    Patriot and Free Press
    34 Water Street
    Cuba, NY 14727
    Telephone 1-800-924-1123

    Cuba's Citizens


    Return to Allegany Towns Page

    Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents

    Last updated on January 18, 2012
    © copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
    This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.