This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.
Alumni of Friendship Hold Banquet.
Eighty-Four Members and Guests Attend Annual Affair.
Friendship, July 2-- Eighty-four members and their guests were present at the 1932 banquet of the Alumni Association of Friendship High School, held at the Friendship Inn Coffee Shoppe on Thursday evening, June 30, at six-thirty o'clock.
The address of welcome and greeting to the class of '32 was made by President Paul T. Simpson, '30.
- Ralph E. Smalley of the class of '32 responded.
- Dr. Joseph E. Duffy, '28, graduate of University of Michigan, college of medicine, 1932, acted as toastmaster.
- Greetings from the Board of Education were given by Harry L. Blossom, '95, clerk of board;
- greetings from faculty were extended by Miss Mary Palmer, '19, representing the Teachers' Association.
Toasts and brief addresses by various alumni were as follows:
- Lotta B. Hobart, 1900;
- Jessie M. Wall, '09;
- Eloy McDonald, '16;
- Harley E. Gilbert, '24;
- Harold L. Hooker, '27;
- Ila Underwood, '31,
- Joseph M. Conley, '25, instructor of Science in Richburg High School, responded impromptu in the absence of
- Richard S. Claire, '23, member of Class of '32, University of Michigan, School of Business Administration.
- Enrico G. Romanelli, '27, Syracuse University, school of Music, acted as a leader of chorus singing.
- Miss Gertrude Hart, '22, Supervisor of Music, Friendship High School, accompanied at the piano.
Musical numbers were:
- Vocal solo by Enrico G. Romanelli, "Bon Jeur Madamosielle"
- (substituting for Dorothy E. Dudley, '25).
- Piano solos, "Deep River," and "Juba Dance," by Virginia Claire, '30, Hastings College, Nebraska;
- guitar solo, "Spanish Retreat," by Clifford A. Williams, '39, Houghton College.
At the business session, President Paul T. Simpson and Secretary Carl L. Gilbert, '18, were re-elected to their respective offices. It was unanimously voted that the annual banquet and get-together, previously held as part of the commencement week activities, be continued.
The association has in its membership two residents of Friendship, Lorenzo M. Waite, class of 1876, and Miss Lillian Hosley, class of 1880, of "Friendship Academy and Union School," now Central Rural School of Friendship.
The concluding event of the sixty-eighth commencement week's program was the commencement dance, which followed the alumni banquet and was given at the high school gymnasium by the junior class.
[Times Evening Herald, Olean, New York, July 2, 1932, p. 3]
Looking for old photos of the Friendship High School and students who attended. Please email Karen Bush
Return to Friendship, New York
Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents
Created on ... August 19, 2006
© Vivian Karen Bush 2006
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.