This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Friendship was formed from Caneadea on March 24, 1815.  Cuba was taken off in 1822 and Bolivar in 1825, and a part of Wirt in 1838.   Friendship is an interior town, lying a little southwest of the center of the county.

The first settlement was make in Nov. 1806 by Richard Friar, from Kingston, Ulster county.  John Harrison and Simon and Zebulon Gates settled in June 1807.  The first birth was Sherman Haskins, in a sugar camp, March 1808.  The first marriage was James Sanford and Sally Harrison in Dec 1809.  The first death was Hattie Friar in Dec. 1806.   The first school was taught by Pelatiah Morgan in the winter of 1810-11.  Simon Gates opened the first inn in May 1808 and Stephen Smith the first store in the spring of 1818.   Sylvanus Meriman and Aaron Axtell built the first gristmill in 1810.  Ebenezer Steenrod built the first sawmill in 1815 and a mill for wool carding and cloth dressing in 1816.  The first religious service was held in a barn by Samuel Vary in July 1810.  The first church (Presbyterian) was formed by Rev. Robert Hubbard in the spring of 1813.  [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]

For a larger view of this panoramic map card, got to American Memory, click on map and search for “Friendship”.


Richard C. Hill
Editor of the Friendship Chronicle

The poet says "'tis but a name
   A simple charm that lulls to sleep,
A shade that follows wealth or fame
   And leaves the heart to sadly weep."

Me thinks 'tis nobler far than this,
   The spirit which can soften grief
And turn the bitter hour to bliss
   And bring the darkest hopes relief.

When Fortune smiles, in Summer days,
   When roses in your pathway lie,
That Flat'ring voice sings tuneful lays.
   I shus'd when Winter's gloom is nigh
         Cold Friendship.

A gilded toy may charm the eye,
   Whilst sterling gold is put aside.
The Fire of Time alone can try
   The worth, the truth, the depth beside.
         Pure Friendship.

As little like the metal pure
   As dross beside the shining gold,
Time as the test is ever sure
   The worthless parts to all unfold.
         False Friendship.

Friendship, April 1880. R.C.H. [Richard C. Hill]

Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Friendship - a hamlet in the center of town; originally known as "Fighting Corners" because local feuds. See the Wikipedia article on Friendship.
Nile - a hamlet near the south town line.
Higgins - located near the east town line.

Friendship, New York Web Page

Friendship Town Historian

Norma Pizza
Friendship Free Library
PO Box 37
Friendship, NY 14739
Telephone: (585) 973-7724

Friendship Town Clerk

Ms. Jacqueline Ward
4 East Main Street
Friendship, NY 1473
Telephone: 585-973-7779


1855 Friendship
1865 Friendship

Interesting Figures.   -  According to the (1880) census returns just completed Mrs. Lydia Carter aged 95, is the oldest lady in town and Thomas Pierce aged 92, is the oldest man.  There is only one person entirely blind.  In the past year there were only 19 deaths.  There are in town 1617 cows, 612 horses, 1732 sheep and 1114 lambs.  The total population of Friendship village is 1137, of the town 2242.  We are indebted to the courtesy of Enumerator S. E. Latta for this data.  [Friendship Chronicle, Vol. 1, No. 22, July 7, 1880.]

spring 1813
July 10, 1822
Membership List
Methodist Episcopal
abt. 1825
Seventh-Day Baptist
Church of Nile

St. Andrews Episcopal

Friendship District School No. 1
Friendship Academy
Friendship High School



*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1


The Friendship Chronicle
Business Directory
Newspaper Articles

Friendsip Photographs

The American Hotel in Friendship

Fireman's Parade, Friendship Steamer Company

Friendship photographs were taken by J. Saunders Studio of Alfred and Friendship. They were contributed by Sharon Mountford.

Return to Allegany Towns Page
Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents

Last updated on July 10, 2006
© copyright Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.