For the past week Mr. Henry L. Lyon of Buffalo, an experienced surveyor and civil engineer has been engaged in laying out the plan to be followed in arranging the new Maple Grove Cemetery, east of town. After a most careful survey Mr. Lyon has completed a plan which we feel sure will give to Friendship a very beautiful and well arranged burying gound. The cemetery covers 17 1/2 acres. Its extreme width is 850 feet running north and south and length 1000 feet extending east and west. The railroad track forms the sourthern boundary, on the east, where the main entrance is to be placed, runs the road past the old Casper Niver farm and the east and north sides are bounded by the property of Vander Hyde. A fountain and circular walk will adorn the center of the grounds and to this fountain four roads will deverge from the main drive around the edge of the cemetery. An ornamental lake will adorn the south-west corner covering about an acre. The cemetery will be laid out in lots of convenient size.
[Friendship Chronicle, Vol. 1, No. 11, April, 21, 1880]
The work of clearing out a portion of the trees in the new cemetery lot has been let out by contracts to B. Lanning of this place, who has a gang of men at work for several days. A few days since in company with our excellent Post Master, Charley Howard, whose guest we were, we enjoyed a very pleasant drive around and over the site of the new burial ground. We cannot but offer our sincere felicitations to the citizens of Friendship on the possession of such a truly grand location for the purpose intended. It was naturally a very lovely spot and will be still further beautified by the improvements which art will make in the shape of drives, walks, lake, fountain, monuments &c.
The view of the village and indeed in every direction is very fine as the new cemetery stands upon a considerable elevation.
The map of the grounds prepared in a very excellent manner by the surveyor. Mr. Henry L. Lyon of Buffalo, is now on view at the office of the secretary, R. A. Scott, in the store of M. Scott & Co. On this map the grounds are divided into five sections each section being subdivided up into lots of various dimensions, the majority having an area of 300, 540 and 500 square feet. In section A, there are 32 burial lots; section B, 182 lots; section C, 234 lots; section D, 286 lots and section E, 367 lots. By the aid of this map parties desiring to select lots can do so at once and in a very convenient and accurate manner.
In addition to those 1101 lots which are for sale in sections A, B, C, D, and E, a large section has been set aside on the south east side of the cemetery to be used as a Potter's field in which there are 436 lots.
It is to be hoped that no unforeseen delay will occur and that Friendship's new God's acre will be beautified and put in order as speedily as possible. Friendship Chronicle, Vol. 1, No. 14, May 12, 1880.