Genesee was formed from Cuba on April 16, 1830. It is the southwest corner town of the county.
Jabez Burdick, from Rensselaer county, was the first settler in 1823. &nbasp;Roswell Streeter, from Rensselaer county, settled in 1825, and Ezekiel Crandell and Joseph Wells, from Rhode Island, in 1826, on Windfall and Genesee Creeks. Joseph Maxson, from Rhode Island, and John Cook, settled in the west part in 1827. The first child born was Edward W. Burdick in 1826. The first marriage was Joseph Allen and Phebe Maxson in 1826. The first death was Arvilla Burdick in 1824. The first school was taught by Henry P. Green, near the mouth of Windfall Creek in the winter of 1826-27. &nbps; Lewis P. Coon kept the first inn in 1842 at Genesee Valley. Albert Langworthy kept the first store in 1831. The first sawmill was built on Genesee Creek by Newman Crabtree in 1820. The first religious services (Seventh Day Baptist) were held by Reverend John Green in 1826. The first church (Seventh Day Baptist) was organized in 1827 by Rev. Henry P. Green. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]
Little Genesee - hamlet in southeast part of Genesee on Route 417
Ceres hamlet directly on the border of Pennsylvania
Bowler - east of Ceres by Route 417 and the south town line
Stanford - southern part of Genesee, on Sanford road at the old railroad grade
Obi - northwest part of town on Route 305
8474 Wells Rd.
Little Genesee, NY 14754
Mary F. Girswold
PO Box 40
8296 Main St.
Little genesee, NY 14754
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1