In 1841 a society of Congregationalists erected a church costing $1,200 at Hume village. The late M. W. Skiff was one of its chief promoters. In 1872 the First Methodist Episcopal church of Hume was organized with 13 members by Rev. J. F. Parker the first pastor, and soon after this society succeeded the Congregationalists in the possession of the church property, the latter society becoming extinct. For a few years the church was connected with teh Wiscoy and Portageville charge, but, about 1890, with Wiscoy and the church at Fillmore a new charge was created, and now the three churches have the same pastor.Since the organization of the Hume church and its first pastorate, the pastors have been:
A Sunday school is conducted in connection with the church. Charles E. Ingham is its superintendent.
was organized with 35 members shortly before 1840, by Rev. Mr. Waller, and that year a church was erected upon a lot donated by Ebenezer Mix which was dedicated in 1841. In 1870, the house was remodeled and rededicated. It is the only house of worship in Wiscoy, and seats about 300. For over 20 years it has been connected first with Portageville and Hume, later with Fillmore and Hume, services being conducted by the same pastor. See preceding church for the pastors.
was organized June 19, 1889, at the opera house, when these trusterss were elected:
Soon talk of building a house of worship commenced, and Nov. 18, 1889, John Caldwell, John H. Howden and Rev. G. R. Harvey were made a buidling committee. Dec. 12, 1889, a subscription paper was started, and John H. Howden made treasurer of the building fund. Meantime, Roswell Minard had made an offer of a building lot, when the subscriptions should reach $1,2000. This amount was pledged early in 1890, and the conveyance executed. September 1, 1890, the foundation was completed and work on the building commenced soon after. The edifice was dedicated Jan. 27, 1891. Dev. Dr. D. W. C. Huntington preached the sermon, and Presiding Elder L. A. Stevens read the dedicatory service. Revs. R. C. Brownlee of Warsaw, and J. L. King of Centreville were present, the former taking part in the exercises, Mrs. F. W. Hark presiding at the organ. $1,410 was pledged to relieve all indebtedness. The pastors have been Revs. R. Canfield, G. R. Harvey, S. S. Ballou and S. Brusie. The membership is about 40. A Sunday school of 60 scholars, H. T. Such superintendent, is connected with the church, also an Epworth League.