This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Hume was formed from Pike, Wyoming county on Feb. 20, 1822.  It lies upon the north border of the county, west of center.

The first settlement was made at Mill's Mills in 1807 by Roger Mills, from Montgomery county.  The first school was taught in the barn of Roger Mills, Jr. in the summer of 1812 by Caroline Russell from Montgomery county.  George Mills kept the first inn at Mills Mills in 1815 and Elisha Mills the first store at the same place in 1809.  Roger Mills erected first sawmill in 1807, and the first gristmill in 1808.  [Source: J.H. French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]

1865 Miscellaneous Statistics

Town of Hume Website

Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Fillmore - hamlet on the left bank of the genesee River

Hume - formerly Cold Creek

Rossburg - hamlet northeast of Fillmore

Wiscoy - hamlet northeast of Fillmore; formerly called Mixville

Mills Mills - north of Fillmore settled by the Mills family

Town Historian

Rondus Miller
Town of Hume Historian
PO Box 302
Fillmore, NY 14735
Telephone: 585-567-8399 email:
Town Clerk
Sondra MacEwan
PO Box 302
Fillmore, NY 14735
Telephone: 585-567-2666
Town of Hume Museum
10842 Claybed Road
Hume, New York



Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
  • Alger Cemetery - code #20-1; (Town 6, Range 1HC, lot 32), N.Y., Rte. 19
  • Well - Elmer Cemetery - code #20-2; (lot 110), N.Y. Rte. 19A
  • Wiscoy Cemetery - code #20-3; (lot 2), Wiscoy Village
  • Holy Cross Cemetery - code #20-4; (lot 23), N.Y. Rte. 19 - 1 mile south of Fillmore, laid out in 1890 and connected with St. Patrick's Catholic Church
  • Fox Cemetery - code #20-5; (lot 44)
  • Pine Grove Cemetery - code #20-6; (lot 53), County Road 4
  • Hume Cemetery - code #20-7; (lot 28), N.Y. Rte. 19
  • Flanagan Road Cemetery - code #20-8; (lot 22), Flanagan Road
  • Mills Mills Cemetery - code #20-9; (lot 37), Wiscoy Mills Mills Road
  • John Mewhawk Cemetery (Native American) - code #20-10; (lot 26), N.Y. Rte 19
  • Lattice Bridge Cemetery - Ballard Road - see also LDS transcription

*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1


Book List

The Great Flood

One of the most serious difficulties which pioneers on the reservation had to encounter was crossing the river.  Population was sparse and money scarce, consequently bridges were dispensed with.

The “great flood” of October, 1835, was an event remembered with much interest.  It formed a land-mark in the chronology of the town.  Whole fields of corn and pumpkins, and stacks of hay and grain, were carried off.

The waters spread over the entire lower flats of the river, nearly a mile wide in some places.  Cattle and sheep were drowned, and horses carried away.  In some places the channel of the river was changed.  The farm of Allen Nourse, embracing in part a beautiful flat, nearly in the form of an ox-bow, was cut entirely in two in a few hours.  [History of Allegany County 1806-1876, Beers, p. 310]

Towns Page

Allegany Co., New York GenWeb Page Table of Contents

Last updated on July 20, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.