New Hudson was formed from Rushford on April 10, 1825, and was originally named Haight. The name was changed on April 4, 1837. New Hudson lies on the west border of the county, a little north of the center.
One of the first settlers was Spencer Lyon of Waterbury, Vermont in 1820. James Eastwood, John C. McKeen, and James Davidson, from N.H. settled in the south part of 1821. The first birth was that of Mary McKeen in June 1821. The first marriage was Earl Gould and Catharine Eastwood in June 1822. The first school was taught by Mrs. Graham McKeen in the summer of 1821. William Andrews kept the first inn, near Black Creek Corners, in 1826. Nelson McCall kept the first store, near the same place in 1830. The first sawmill was erected by James Davidson on Black Creek in 1829. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]
Read the Early Settlement and History of the Town of New Hudson by Neva Gross, former town historian.
Bellville (originally North Valley)
6359 Rt 305
Black Creek, NY 14715
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and FHL/FHC microfilm. See WNYGS Journal, Vol. II, No. 1